top of page

Our History

Our Founding Members

Mrs. Mattie Aldridge
Mrs. Matt Dwyer
Mrs. T.E. Folis
Mrs. S.A. Fransioli
Mrs. Fannie R. Heckle
Mrs. Annette Herbers
Mrs. Martha Tidwell
Mrs. Robert Lawrence
Mrs. J.W. Murphy
Mrs. George O’Connor
Mrs. B.W. Richmond
Mrs. W.A. Ryan
Mrs. L.C. Stukenborg

The WINGS of Ave Maria was founded as the Ave Maria Guild, Inc. in early 1950, by a small group of Catholic women who recognized the need for a home for aged men and women in the Memphis community.  In March 1950, the Guild applied for and was granted a Charter under the laws of the State of Tennessee.  Mrs. George Tidwell was named the first president.

​

During the three-year term of Mrs. Tidwell, a 9 ½ acre tract of land on the Charles Bryan Road was purchased.  Toward the later part of her term, Austin K. Hall, architect, drew up plans for the home.  Mrs. Foster A. Jones was elected president in June 1953 and during her tenure the actual construction got underway.  In December 1955, a Charter was granted by the State of Tennessee for the Ave Marie Home for the Aged, Inc.  Mrs. Charles Walsh was elected the first president of the newly formed corporation.

​

On June 3, 1956, The Most Reverend William L. Adrian, Bishop of Nashville, officially dedicated the Home.  Until July 1, 1963, the Home provided only residential care, but on this date became a licensed nursing home.  At the time, there were 36 residents, which was the capacity of the Home.  In February 1965, the Home was renamed The Ave Marie Guild Home, Inc. as a tribute to the women who founded The Guild.  Also in 1965, a permanent endowment fund was established under the Home Governing Board.  Mr. J. Don Blankenship served as president.  The Reverend J. Leonard Oglesby was the Spiritual Director of the Guild.

© 2024 by WINGS of Ave Maria.

bottom of page